Re: (ASCEND) How to reserve modem ports for MAXDial?

On 2 Mar 1998, John Wells wrote:

> We recently installed a MAX 2024 (now running 5.0Ai28). I've been trying for
> a month to get an answer from Ascend support to a dialin routing question
> (originally I was working to get a useful answer, but I've heard nothing for
> about two weeks, so now just about any answer would do). Can someone here
> explain what's going on?
>
> Our MAX has a subnetted class B address (say, 138.152.108.3/24) and one pool
> of IP addresses for dialin users (21 addresses starting at 138.152.111.65).
> RIP and OSPF are both turned off; a couple of static routes is all we need.
> Our PPP dial-in user profile is typically:
>
> user Password = "pass"
>  Service-Type = Framed,
>  Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>  Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.224,
>  Framed-Routing = None,
>  Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1,
>  Ascend-Idle-Limit = 300
>
> The problem is the Framed-IP-Netmask. Including it means our profiles work,
> but we get an extraneous (albeit harmless, so far) network route added when
> a client dials in, e.g., for a client dialing in and getting IP
> 138.152.111.73, then in addition to the required host route:

The "Framed-IP-Netmask" is wrong.  It is what you are telling it to do
(add a route for the entire subnet).  The netmask should be
255.255.255.255 if it is a *single* IP being assigned to the client.  The
only time the netmask should be set differently in RADIUS is if you are
assigning the adjacent subnet to be routed over that dial-up connection
also.

> However, if we remove the Framed-IP-Netmask from the profile, then dialin
> clients have no connectivity. With 5.0Ap42, the problem was that the MAX
> created an incorrect route for the client which pointed, not to the wan
> port, but to the MAX's ethernet interface, e.g.,
> 	Destination        	Gateway         	IF
> 	138.152.111.73/32	138.152.108.3		ie0
>
> Not very useful... 5.0Ai28 is different, but no better. With it, removing
> the Framed-IP-Netmask causes the MAX to create no route at all for a dialin
> client:

The MAX apparently doesn't default to an all 1s netmask in the absence of
it being specified in RADIUS.   Specify it explicity as I mentioned above
and see what happens.

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/