(ASCEND) AMI Wink-Start configuration question (HELP)

Yesterday, we attempted to deploy several
Ascend MAX 4048 to an area where the
telephone switch only supports AMI encoding,
D4 (its Super-Frame-- not ESF though) framing,
Wink-Start... but, the phone company wasn't
able to get the translations correct.

Our MAX was showing a ring 'r', then 'c'...
disconnect... over and over.... no calls would
complete.

My question... is that they were trying to
send DP (dial-pulse) to our equipment,
then... they tried "MF"... multi-frequency/fame?..
that didn't make any difference... now, they
want to reschedule the work... and try "DTMF"
(regular touch tone).

Anyone seen this before?  Please, please reply if
you have any suggestions about this... anything
they might have overlooked in the translations?

Anything that we may have overlooked in our
configuration?

The phone technicians we were dealing were
completely lost... they couldn't even figure out
how to make a conference call while we working
on this.... any help would be greatly appreciated.