Re: (ASCEND) Static IP Users

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Neale Banks wrote:

> At 19:32 25/08/98 -0700, Laurent Saehyun Kim wrote:
>
> >If I assign a user with static IP from another Class C YYY.YYY.YYY.250, it
> >does not work; however, if I set the static route from the router ( ip
> >route YYY.YYY.YYY.0 255.255.255.0 XXX.XXX.XXX.10 ) it works but only to
> >Max4004.
>
> Sounds fair ;-)
>
> >I have RIP turned off on both MAXs.
>
> It _may_ be fixable/hackable with RIP, however...
>
> >Any idea?
>
> Can you configure your router's ethernet interface with a secondary address
> in the YYY.YYY.YYY.___ network?  The point is that you will then have a
> route to that network pointing down the correct interface of your router, in
> combination with Proxy-ARP it shouldn't matter which MAX they dial into :-)))
>
> HTH,
> Neale.

When we expanded past our first /24, I tried this same thing...  it
worked, but caused problems with network performance.  Something about
packets having to travel the ethernet twice in some cases.  Made for very
slow telnet sessions, DNS lookups, and POP3 service.

If you are using IPs from one subnet on your ethernet and IPs from another
subnet for your dial-up pools/static addresses, then you *need* to do
something like OSPF or RIP.  When I implemented OSFP, my network
performance felt like it improved by at least a factor of 100.

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services