Re: (ASCEND) Static IP Users

At 19:32 25/08/98 -0700, Laurent Saehyun Kim wrote:

>I have both Pool-Only = Yes and Proxy Mode = Active and it still does not
>work.  Here is an interesting thing though.
>
>Our Router Address XXX.XXX.XXX.1
>Max4004            XXX.XXX.XXX.10
>Max6000            XXX.XXX.XXX.130
>
>If I assign a user with static IP such as XXX.XXX.XXX.1, it works fine
>without any problem when dialed to Max4004 or Max6000  (Note that the
>static IP is on the same Class C network)
>
>If I assign a user with static IP from another Class C YYY.YYY.YYY.250, it
>does not work; however, if I set the static route from the router ( ip
>route YYY.YYY.YYY.0 255.255.255.0 XXX.XXX.XXX.10 ) it works but only to
>Max4004.

Sounds fair ;-)

>I have RIP turned off on both MAXs.

It _may_ be fixable/hackable with RIP, however...

>Any idea?

Can you configure your router's ethernet interface with a secondary address
in the YYY.YYY.YYY.___ network?  The point is that you will then have a
route to that network pointing down the correct interface of your router, in
combination with Proxy-ARP it shouldn't matter which MAX they dial into :-)))

HTH,
Neale.