[VANILLA-L:374] RE: Development/debugging environment

On Tuesday, January 07, 1997 1:29 PM, Bob
Tanner[SMTP:tanner@real-time.com] wrote:
>>I am curious how other developers and debuggers who ALSO run a live
>>server have their environment setup.
>>
>>Real Time has a nasty bug the busts any observer who sends themself
>>any message. I have narrowed it down to check_clue in socket.c:4117.
>>Some how clueString is NULL and the strcmp() cores.
>>
>>Now that I think I have fixed the bug I want to test the new server.
>>Problem is that makefiles and such want to install it ON TOP of the
>>current server.
>>
>>Now I can go and change the Makefiles and set the .ports file
>>to different ports. But I really want to keep the code inline
>>with the offical code (makse patching SO much easier).
>>
>>Any alternatives?
>>
>>--
>>Robert J. Tanner <tanner@real-time.com> | Phone : 612.943.8700
>>http://www.real-time.com                | Fax   : 612.943.8300
>>Key fingerprint =  6C E9 51 4F D5 3E 4C 66  62 A9 10 E5 35 85 39 D9

I use three approaches depending on the situation. In the situation
you mention above, where you want to test something out before making
it public I setup a special port temporarily which will run my
temporary ntserv. You can then log into that port and test out your
changes without affecting everyone else.

If it is a new binary that I know I want to replace then I use
another approach. On hpux and probably must unixs you can move a running
executable to another filename and the process(s) using it still
run fine. I move the running ntserv (or daemonII) to something like
ntserv.old and put the new ntserv in its place. Note, you'll have to
be careful of changes which may not be compatible between your new and
old binaries since they mostly likely will be running concurrently (at
least for a while in ntserv's case). If your server's OS has done their
inodes and mv command correctly you can take advantage of this as well.

Lastly, if it is a change that I feel is going to really change
something
I bring up a temporary server which I can test things out. If everything
is ok, I either bring down the server for maintanence or wait for a
conquer.

Nick
"There is nothing we won't say to convince people that the
  Microsoft way is the way to go" -- Bill Gates.
These are my views and are not to be construed as the views of Landacorp
Nick Trown. Software Engineer, Strategic Development Group, Landacorp