[VANILLA-L:375] Re: Development/debugging environment

Bob Tanner writes :

> I am curious how other developers and debuggers who ALSO run a live
> server have their environment setup.
>
> Real Time has a nasty bug the busts any observer who sends themself
> any message. I have narrowed it down to check_clue in socket.c:4117.
> Some how clueString is NULL and the strcmp() cores.
>
> Now that I think I have fixed the bug I want to test the new server.
> Problem is that makefiles and such want to install it ON TOP of the
> current server.

For something like this, just run ntserv manually from the compiling
directory (./ntserv your.hostname) and fire up a client.  If you haven't
changed any of the structures in shared memory, nothing bad will happen,
and you haven't changed any code in daemonII, so that won't need
reinstalled for the test.

However, this sort of kludge worked well enough that I never got a nice
debugging setup like Bob is thinking of set up on bigbang ;(

--
       Alec Habig, Boston University Particle Astrophysics Group
			   habig@budoe.bu.edu