Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

clue check & eject

> but eject has caused such considerable damage
> to the game.

I assume the damage you're referring to is "alienating new players".
I'm going to lump in clue checks for good measure.  I think they both
can, in the right circumstances, cause new players to lose interest in
the game.  Whether this actually happens on a regular basis is, as far
as I know, an open question.

I don't want to alienate new players.  I don't think the solution is
to eliminate clue checks or eject from every server.  If the servers
are labelled, clue checks and eject become reasonable features on the
"advanced" server.

When ejected, new users will know the server is "advanced" and won't
be too put off by being kicked out.  This seems especially likely if,
upon ejection, the server points people to www.netrek.org for help and
beginner.us.netrek.org for a less stressful environment.

The other side of the problem is the expectations of current players.
Many current players want to play in a good game, even on pickup, and
feel that ejecting wasted slots is reasonable.  If the server is labelled
"beginner" they won't be too put off by not being allowed to kick out
new or useless players.

> pickled does not support the
> portswap code

I'll try to update the server this weekend.

-dave