Re: [VANILLA-L] Code for more observer slots?

Steve Franks wrote:
> I'm setting up a new vanilla server at MIT and I'd like to try to put
> in more observer slots

I agree with Mikael.  The simple solution is to increase the number of
slots available and allocate a higher slot number to the observers.
That causes some clients to misbehave, because they expect slot numbers
to be restricted to a particular range.

Bob Tanner wrote:
> There was talk about an obs server in the past. Where the main server
> would relay packets to a obs server. Anything come of this? Still just
> a good idea?

I saw nothing of it.  An X mirror program would achieve the same thing,
but would require effort setting up each time.

I think, therefore, that the observer code requires modification such
that it uses the same slot for all observers.  The Daemon
Synchronisation logic may need altering, as I think it relies on storing
a PID for each participating client on a per-slot basis.

Perhaps the concept of process slots should be separated from ship
slots.

This is the way I would prefer it to go.

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800