Re: [VANILLA-L] Code for more observer slots?

Quoting Mikael Sandstr|m (d4sand@dtek.chalmers.se):
> On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Steve Franks wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I'm setting up a new vanilla server at MIT and I'd like to try to put
> > in more observer slots.  I remember a while back that there was a lot
> > of talk about this, but I don't know what ever happened.  Is there
> > any code out there that will allow me to have extra observer slots with
> > the vanilla server?
>
> Heiko did this but there was some problem too.
> Not all clients can conect to the higher slots, COW can brmh can't.
> And some client might get strange behavior like seeing double ships. Or
> ghost ships coming and  disapeering on both tactical and galactic.
> It have crashed a couple of times too but that might be for diffrent
> reasons.

There was talk about an obs server in the past. Where the main server
would relay packets to a obs server. Thus allowing multiple people to
watch a game on a main server without sucking too much resources from
the main server.

Anything come of this? Still just a good idea?

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : 612.943.8700
http://www.real-time.com                | Fax   : 612.943.8300