Vanilla Development Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-DEVEL:698] CVS update: Vanilla

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 02:26:04PM -0400, Jeffrey Nowakowski wrote:
> Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu> wrote:
> >
> > In order to play a second game, all players must quit and rejoin the game
> > because the player offsets into the DB are reset to -1.
>
> As a player, I'd find this annoying.  So what happens if you start a
> second game without rejoining?

You are ejected at pregame with a message to rejoin.

> Does this mean you also can't restart the game without quitting out?

No, you can restart the game without quitting.  Only players with invalid
offsets are ejected.

> Can we fix it so you don't have to quit out?

Yes, but it would require some effort.

> I assume this is because of LTD stats, because it used to be possible
> to play more than 1 game in a row without rejoining.

No, it has nothing to do with LTD stats.  It is a bug with player DB
corruption.  Before, it was possible to play multiple games without
rejoining but it caused player stats to carry over to subsequent games.
Since back-to-back games are pretty rare these days, and since players
who play back-to-back games are even rarer, the forced ejection is
probably an acceptable solution.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2