TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3215] fdformat

Carl Patten wrote:

> [...]

I checked the BIOS and the floopy is configured to 1.44MB. I used an older boot
disk to test whether or not I could get past the initrd.img and I was able to.

> > I formated the disk
> > useing fdformat
> > /dev/fd0. The format read and verified without any error. Now, I am
> > haveing trouble
> > mounting the disk.
>
> Don't need to.  Your mount is failing because a low-level format is
> different from a DOS format.  After a low-level format the disk is
> completely blank.  That's why you can't mount it; it's missing a filesystem.
> However, dd doesn't need a filesystem because it overwrites the disk
> block-by-block.

Interesting point; I performed fdformat on the disks and then dd formated the
boot.img disk as dos, I had tried ext2 on the boot. dd then formated the
supp.img disk as ext2.

> > I recall having read that you can't format a floppy as ext2. I assume
> > I've created an
> > msdos format.
>
> A low-level format only sets up the disk parameters; it doesn't create a
> filesystem.  You would need to use mkfs to create a filesystem, which will
> make the disk mountable.  I haven't heard of any problems creating an ext2
> filesystem on a floppy.

I seem to have a problem with my memory. Like once I thought I had some money,
now I know better.

> > I hope I am not becoming a pain with my ignorance.
>
> Not at all.  Unix/Linux filesystem tools are ugly, and it can take some time
> to get the hang of them.

Have a great weekend guys!