TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3215] fdformat

Ron,

It could be a buggy floppy controller.  I have a Zeos Pantera that won't
boot the RedHat floppies, period.  Solution:  disable the on-board floppy
controller, and use an add-in board.  I was lucky, and had an Adaptec
1542CF SCSI controller which also has a floppy disk controller on it.  When
I connected my floppy drive to this controller it worked fine.

Many add-in IDE host adaptors also have floppy controllers on the same
card.  I'm guessing you could pick something up for around $20.

--Mark

Mark A Bentley                  Email:  bentlema@cs.umn.edu
Systems Staff, CSci Dept
University of Minnesota         URL:    http://www.cs.umn.edu/~bentlema/