TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:3215] fdformat

Check your BIOS and make sure the floppy drive is configured as 1.44MB.
Have you successfully installed anything else on this PC using the floppy?

> I formated the disk
> useing fdformat
> /dev/fd0. The format read and verified without any error. Now, I am
> haveing trouble
> mounting the disk.

Don't need to.  Your mount is failing because a low-level format is
different from a DOS format.  After a low-level format the disk is
completely blank.  That's why you can't mount it; it's missing a filesystem.
However, dd doesn't need a filesystem because it overwrites the disk
block-by-block.

> I recall having read that you can't format a floppy as ext2. I assume
> I've created an
> msdos format.

A low-level format only sets up the disk parameters; it doesn't create a
filesystem.  You would need to use mkfs to create a filesystem, which will
make the disk mountable.  I haven't heard of any problems creating an ext2
filesystem on a floppy.

> I hope I am not becoming a pain with my ignorance.

Not at all.  Unix/Linux filesystem tools are ugly, and it can take some time
to get the hang of them.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator