TCLUG Archive

shadow passwords

I have rh5.1 and I just tried to install shadow passwords using the alread
installed package shadow-utils-980403-3. I followed the how-to guide, and
ran pwconv which then made an /etc/passwd without passwords and
/etc/shadow (the how-to said it would make npasswd and nshadow and that
I'd copy but, but pwconv did this for me). Everything works except that
users can't change thier passowrds. If I type passwd, and type something
in says authentication failure. /etc/passwd is 644 and /etc/shadow is 640.
Any ideas? I can change passwords as root without any problems.

(I just noticed this on my friends computer with I think default install
on rh5.2, hmm)

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

Our system [is] of checks and balances - you send a check and the balance tilts
your way.   -- Greg Lucas ("California Insider")