TCLUG Archive

Login obliterated.

	I was trying to upgrade a number of things on an OpenLinux 1.2 box -- most
notably libc and python -- and having a hard time of it.  After backing off
to a previous version of libc, I now find that logins are completely
disabled.  If you try to log in, the system cuts you off with a "Login
Incorrect" *before* it even asks for the password.  I finally managed to
fight my way into the system in single-user mode (not easy, since OpenLinux
wants the root password before it lets you in as a single-user -- I had to
boot off of the CD)
	Does anybody have any idea what could have caused this, and what might be
an easy way to fix it?  At this point it looks as though I'll have to just
restore the system from the ground up -- not my idea of fun.