TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1289] Network Party

my respons to what is linux like.. or "is linux like DOS" is this

DOS is a cheep version of UNIX (i don't want to go into CP/M stuff with these
kids)  it's like dos, has a text interface, but is better cause it has
multi-tasking built in, and has internet built in. (very dumbed down)  and more
than one person can use the computer at the same time.. showing them that i can
change network settings without rebooting, and the fact that it has built in
FTP server, web server, and uses less memory than 95, and that i can reboot it
over the internet usualy impresses them.  and i show them my afterstep
screen-shots :)

On 21-Sep-98 Michael Hicks wrote:
>> I have played
>> Quake almost incessantly on my Linux box and have put up with Win95 kiddies
>> and their volume-control-knobs-on-the-front-of-their-monitors computers
>> (with
>> quesstions like, "Is Linux like DOS?  What does it do?").
>
> Umm.. speaking of the "Is Linux like DOS?" question, which I get a lot,
> how should we respond to it anyway?  My response is usually "Umm.. well,
> kinda.."  But I usually have to quit once they start asking about how I
> can have a graphical desktop..  "Don't you have Windows?"  "X Server?
> Huh?"
>
> I just have to go download Enlightenment now and get them _really_
> confused..
>
>> "No, I need to *telnet* into my computer."
>> "Ya, I know.  You can log on here."
>> "No, I need *telnet*."
>> "You mean this program?"  Loads up the app launcher program, and highlights
>> TELNET.EXE
>> "Yes, that program."
>> Goes back to Network Neighborhood.  "Well log on here so you can telnet into
>> your computer."
>> "Eeaaarghh."
>> (He eventually figures out the difference between SMB and Telnet, sorta)
>> "Why do you need to telnet in to your computer?"
>> "I need to reboot my computer."
>> (Confused look)
>
> Heh.. I'm sure a lot of us have had this problem..  I have, at least..
> Fortunately my roommate for the year has a computer that is
> networkable..  Last year my rommate had a Macintosh with a M68030
> processor..  I had to go trudging through the halls looking for someone
> I could shove off their box..
>
> Well, anyway, I think I'll go d/l Enlightenment now..
>
> Mike Hicks

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)