TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:985] Samba question

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Tim Wilson wrote:
[snip]
> 1. Do I need to create a separate, vfat formatted partition to hold the
> Win32 programs?
>
> 2. How do you install a Windows program on a computer that doesn't have
> a copy of Windows on it?

[snip]

Tim,

I don't have any direct experience doing this with a win95 box, but based
on my experiences with NT 4, the following should do the trick.

Once you've got Samba installed on your linux box, you can log into one of
your win95 machines, and map a drive to the Linux box.  Once the drive has
been mapped, you can install the windows software to that drive.  To
access the software from other win95 machines, you'll need to map the
drive the same way you did to install the software, and you'll need to
update the registry on each of the machines to reflect the newly installed
software.  Note: the 'restore this map at next logon' check box is very
handy for stuff like this.

Best of Luck!

Ben Johnson
Test Engineer - Emerson Motion Control