TCLUG Archive

Samba clarification

Hey everybody,

Thanks to everyone who sent replies to my previous Samba question. I
appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

OK, let me try to summarize what we've learned so far. :-) You do not need
a vfat-formatted partition on your Linux server to serve Win95 apps. And
you install Win95 apps by making a Win95 machine think that a share you
create on your Linux server is actually a drive on another Windows
machine.

So, let me get more concrete with my example. Let's say I want to install
MS Office 97 on my Linux server so that it may be "served" to any of a
number of Win95 machines in our office. Here are some specific questions.

1. Where would I put the Office apps in my Linux directory tree?
/usr/local/win95? /win95?

Let's say one of the Windows machines in our office has a 2 GB hard drive
which Windows calls drive c:.

2. Does the process of installing software look like this, then?

a. Configure Samba so that the Windows machine's drive d: is actually that
directory on my Linux server that I've set aside for Windows apps.
b. Put Office 97 CD in CD-ROM drive of Windows machine.
c. Run setup program and install Office 97 on drive d:
d. Fiddle with permissions so that other users can't write to the Windows
section of the Linux HD.

From then on, at that machine, all I do (assuming I set it up so that the
Samba share is automatically mapped to drive d: at startup) is run
"d:\winword.exe". Of course the exact path to the Word binary may vary.

That's what I'm wondering about. I hope that these questions and the good
answers that I've received are helpful for some of you other than just me.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your