TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:817] VRAM requirements for X

Tim Wilson wrote:

> to get 800x600x8bit. As I see it, I've got two options:
>
> 1. I could disable the on-board video and buy a cheap 1MB ISA card
> (approx. $30, maybe a little less)
>
> 2. Buy the 512k VRAM upgrade module and plug it into the motherboard.
> Get ready for a laugh: Compaq want $120 for one. I found a used from a
> company, and after some haggling, I can get 25 of them for $30 ea.

Ah, Compaq and their flavor of the _DAY_ video chip set...

I'd disable the on-board video if you can and get a 1MB or 2MB ISA
card.  Standard SVGA cards should be pretty cheap.  Just check the specs
before you buy it; or see if you can buy one, try it and return it if
you're not happy.

If you could live without color under X, you might get by with the mono
server.  Your original note said you wanted 8-bit so I assume no, but
just a suggestion.  Buying video cards for each 486 machine could add up
in a hurry.

--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26