TCLUG Archive

VRAM requirements for X

Hi everyone,

I've got a question to ask about X before I spend some money for my
computers at school. Quick review: I've got a bunch of Compaq 4/33i
machines (486DX-33, 16 MB RAM, 512k on-board VRAM, QVision 1024/I
chipset) and I'd like to install Linux including X on them.

I've successfully installed Linux with X, but I'm unable to get anything
more than 640x480 resolution on the 14" monitors that I have. I'd like
to get 800x600x8bit. As I see it, I've got two options:

1. I could disable the on-board video and buy a cheap 1MB ISA card
(approx. $30, maybe a little less)

2. Buy the 512k VRAM upgrade module and plug it into the motherboard.
Get ready for a laugh: Compaq want $120 for one. I found a used from a
company, and after some haggling, I can get 25 of them for $30 ea.

Any opinions?

Should I be able to get 800x600x8bit with 512k, or do you think I'm
going to need the extra video RAM?

Any opinions would be appreciated. I need to order this stuff pretty
soon, so the quicker I hear anything, the better.

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson		 |  Powered by Linux  |      Check out:
Henry Sibley High School |                    | http://www.redhat.org