TCLUG Archive

Networking

I have just got my internal ethernet card registered with AT&T
Broadband.  I have been using it to try to connect two computers, the other
being a windows box.   Now I am using that ethernet card to connect to my
external modem.  I need to enable dhcp-client which does run and tries to
get an address but failes.  When I do an ifconfig, the card returns the old
address of 192.168.0.2.  The broadband address should be in a higher class
like A I think.  Something like 21.31.18.14 or what ever it turns out to
be.  I know that the computer gets the address from the modem.  Every time
I switch my Internet connection between machines I need to rest the modem
by either disconnection the power or issue a release - renew command.

I have debian 2.2, how do I get rid of the old address and get dhcp
working.  The NIC is using the tulip driver.  Also, does anyone know of GUI
software for configuring network cards.  I used to run RH and they had
netcfg which was nice.

John Miller