TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:23341] Linux work

Companies are going to be wary of hiring someone with no experience.
Probably your best bet is to find an ISP or some company that will start you
out on some sort of helpdesk and give you ample opportunity to prove
yourself.  Helpdesk can suck bigtime, but as long as they let you touch
things instead of only taking phonecalls, it's not that bad.

That's how I started out, it sucked but it was what I had to do.  We hire
people here with not much experience, and we let them work their way up as
the gain experience and prove that they can do good things.  Unfortunately,
we have 2 people that know Unix here, me and another guy, and we don't need
anymore.

I don't think we'd ever stick someone in a sys admin position if they didn't
have experience.  In the computer industry, experience is probably more
valuable than education.