TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:23302] Why can't kde and gnome just get along

Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Mornin',
>
> My Debian system won't let me have kdm and gdm installed simultaneously. (At
> least as long as I'm using apt-get to install them.) This is no big deal
> because I don't really care which one I use, but unfortunately kdm doesn't
> provide a Gnome option in its "Sessions" menu and gdm doesn't allow KDE.
>
> I've hunted around, but I can't figure out how to add support for a KDE
> session to gdm. Anybody done this?

They get along just fine. Yes, Debian will not allow you to install more
than one display manager. (XDM,GDM,KDM) Yes, you could hack it so that they
don't interfere with each other, but why would you want to?

Anyway, for GDM you'll have to create a session file in
/etc/X111/gdm/Sessions. I had one that worked for KDE2 at one point but it
doesn't work anymore. Haven't cared enough to fix it.

For KDM, run kcontrol as root. Under the Login Manager settings you can
define new sessions. For GNOME, type in gnome-session. (Basically, you can
define any command in your $PATH as a KDM session.) While you're at it you
may want to add all your window managers and the like, you never know. :)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX:132)
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (FAX)  763-428-9126
21801 Industrial Blvd       | (PCS) 612-306-6055
Rogers, MN  55374           | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
begin:vcard
n:Zbikowski;Andrew
tel;pager:612-306-6055
tel;cell:612-306-6055
tel;fax:763-428-9126
tel;home:763-591-0977
tel;work:763-428-9119
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ltiflex.com
org:LTI Flexible Products;Information Services
adr:;;21801 Industrial Blvd.;Rogers;MN;55374;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:andyzb@ltiflex.com
title:Computer Systems Administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;-13248