TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:23302] Why can't kde and gnome just get along

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> My Debian system won't let me have kdm and gdm installed simultaneously. (At
> least as long as I'm using apt-get to install them.) This is no big deal
> because I don't really care which one I use, but unfortunately kdm doesn't
> provide a Gnome option in its "Sessions" menu and gdm doesn't allow KDE.
>
> I've hunted around, but I can't figure out how to add support for a KDE
> session to gdm. Anybody done this?

Read Andy's response about how to go about it before you read this.

That said, for adding sessions to gdm, I would take a look at the
pre-configured scripts in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions and take as much as you
can from those. They do some semi-important setup stuff that you might
want, like setting up errors to go to ~/.gnome-errors, setting up login
defs, etc.  Basically all you would have to do is copy
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Gnome and edit it a little.

Pacem in Terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock