TCLUG Archive

LPRng goofiness

Hey everyone,

It's been said network printing the bane of the admin's existence. I must
say that I whole-heartedly agree. My stupid printer gives me more grief than
everything else combined.

I'm using LPRng on my print server, printing to an HP4000 PS printer with a
JetDirect card. This was working a few days ago, but now seems hosed. When I
try to print something from the commandline on the server, I get:

[wilsont@thales wilsont]$ lpr .bashrc
Status Information:
 sending job 'wilsont@thales+676' to missingprinter@localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 connected to 'localhost'
 requesting printer missingprinter@localhost
 error 'LINK_TRANSFER_FAIL' sending str '^Bmissingprinter' to
missingprinter@localhost
 job 'wilsont@thales+676' transfer to missingprinter@localhost failed

I went and looked. The printer is most certainly not missing. It's right
where I left it. :-)

Anybody got a heads-up on this for me? BTW, here's my printcap:

[wilsont@thales wilsont]$ cat /etc/printcap
# This is the printcap entry for thales to print on the HP4000.
# Spooling software is LPRng in /usr/local/src

lp|hp4000
  :server
  :lp=10.22.100.76%9100
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4000