TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17728] Motif has gone opensource!

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

> Never doubted it for a second.  It only happens in closed source project
> where the owner of the code is not the developer.  The owner NEVER has to
> give up code if he doesn't want to - that is if they don't break any laws
> pertaining to a monopoly.

Okay I was speaking more generally. In a closed source project, maybe
people aren't going to take your actual code and outdo you, but they
still can and will outdo you even if they have to implement theirs from
scratch. That's business. Deal. ;)

Really, in an open source project, there's less* chance of this
happening, since the motivation isn't monetary greed... (I'm pretty sure
Bazaar & Cathedral went over this. Or am I thinking of something
else...)