TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17423] short description of the Internet

This is a tough one.

You want an analogy, like Tannenbaum's at the beginning of his book on
Networking, but on the other hand, you're going to need to simplify the
presentation of this concept to such an extent that you are going to end up
.... well .... lying, or feeling like you're lying or leaving something out.

Hmmmm... does "talking on the telephone" as a metaphor work?
(When you click on your browser for a page, it makes a really fast phone
call to a server computer....  ftp is like leaving or retrieving a voice mail
... telnet is like..... etc.)

BTW, are you going to have any pictures or diagrams?

gs