TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17423] short description of the Internet

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> I want to distribute a document throughout the company that gives a basic
> description of how the Internet works. I'm trying to make it as simple as
> possible, because the target audience is non-users who still think that 'The
> Internet' is an icon on your desktop. My basic goal is to dissuade them of
> that notion, so they don't say things like "I need the Internet on my
> computer!!"
>
> here's a rough draft of what I've come up with. comments, flames,
> suggestions are welcome. :)

I don't think this is a comment on what you wrote as much as it is airing
some of what I've been thinking and how I've been noticing my answers on
the same subject have been becoming more and more distilled.  If it helps
you or someone else, then great.  If not, there's that handy delete key.

"The Internet is simply the computerized version of the phone system."

[That's the one sentence version.  The answer to the inevitable "how's
that?" is what follows.]

Computers just send data, so it doesn't matter if it's e-mail, pictures,
web pages, credit card numbers, or moving video.

On your computer, you use different programs that can pick up the "phone"
and call somewhere else.  A web browser calls and gets web pages.  When
you shop on the internet, you talk to the computer you're buying things
from and it "calls" the computer at the credit card company to approve
your transaction -- just like the little machines at a store or
restaurant.

You pay for access to the internet the same way you pay for access to the
phone system.  With a phone you rent a phone line and phone number from
the telephone company, and when people call that number they get your
phone.  With the internet, you rent a connection -- which might be over a
phone line or it might be more direct, with cable modems, or special
wires.

The number of phone calls you want your computer to be able to make at one
time is called bandwidth.  If you just have one line and don't need to be
very fast, you can get by for a few dollars a month.  If you're a major
company or institution, like one that has it's own exchange - i.e., all
numbers that are 625-xxxx are the U - you get to pay a lot more for the
privilege.

But, that's all the internet is.  It's only as good or as bad as the
computers at either end.  You can only do the things that people set
up.  It should be taxed and regulated the same as a phone system, and
business done over the internet is no different than business done over
the phone.  And <pet peeve>RESEARCH DONE OVER THE INTERNET IS NO MORE
CREDIBLE THAN RESEARCH DONE OVER THE PHONE.  The academic use of the
internet is good for communication between colleagues and to share work,
not to replace publication in peer reviewed journals or books.  And kids
should learn to do research with books before they touch a computer.</pet
peeve!>

That's about the time I have to stop because eyes are glazing over.  But
my best reaction was when I said the first line "like a computerized phone
system," the person I was speaking to paused and thought, and said --
"Oh.  Sure, that makes perfect sense."  I wish I could have taped it,
cause I don't hear that from my wife too often! <G>

Phil M

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math