Checkpoints [was: Re: Apartments?]

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 08:57:20PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
>  A simple improvement I have been meaning to implement is not to purge the temp
> map when re-loading - so if the server does crash, at least the maps the players
> are on revert back to the state they were last saved out.  This may not be a
> major improvement, but may help some things.

I think the best solution would be to put the player on a safe place
after the server crash.  This is related to the problem of players
saving in a treasure room, killing the client and waiting until the
room resets.

Checkpoints could be beds to reality and map exits.  When entering a
map, the map could specify the position where the player should wake up
after a server or client crash.  There could also be map squares with a
special marker object that updates the position, necessary for maps
that don't want the player to easily get out of a part of the map.

--
Jan