Re: CF: New Pickup Code Proposal

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 03:40:59PM -0600, Scott Wedel wrote:
> I have never liked the existing pickup options.  It always struck me as
> a kludge to sort of pick up want the sort of stuff you wanted.
>
> It strikes me that in this whole discussion of pickup options that it
> was never questioned whether the current pickup options make any real
> sense from the player's perspective.  The question before us is whether
> the game correctly allows selecting the most useful pickup options in
> a way that is clear to the player.  I suggest the current pickup command
> fails this test since "pickup 5" certainly doesn't carry any obvious
> indication of what is going to be picked up.
>
> I suggest the correct way of doing pickup is to have a flag for each
> object type which the player can set to specifically select which objects
> are to be picked up.  The command which sets this pickup_flags should not
> take numeric arguments, but should instead take symbolic (ie name of the
> object type) arguments.  The command should allow selecting or unselecting
> individual object types.  For ease of use there should be generic names
> such as "magical" which is a shortcut means of setting numerous values.
>
> There should be an additional option to the pickup command of AND or OR
> DENSITY [x] where x is gp per kg (or whatever measurement).  If option is
> AND DENSITY [x] then item is picked up if it meets whatever previously set
> object type pickup selections and is worth at least the desired density
> value.  If option is OR DENSITY then item is picked up if it meets either
> object type or the density criteria.

Currently, I'm testing the pickup command sturcture:

pickup <flag(s)> where flag is one or more of:

inorganics armor weapons magic money food cheat equip

or density n where n is a number from 1 to 255.

You can combine these flags to produce a pickup action that comes closest to
what the player wants.  The combination is "OR".  I generally use something
like "pickup food density 20 equip"  or lately "pickup magic density 10
inorganics" and I've redefined "inorganics" to pickup arrows and bolts (type
= 13)