Re: CF: Mailing list and website

Rick Tanner wrote:
> So, would this make the site at Real Time the offical website?
> The site right now is really a "fan website" - not very tech orientated,
> IMO, so a major overhaul would be needed.

 I think as a top level, having it a fan/information web site works out just
fine.  There could be a link to the technical aspects of crossfire if that is
needed.

> Yes, crossfire .org, .com, and .net are taken so something a little more
> creative would have to be used.  Correct me if I am wrong, crossfire does
> not run on (under?) x-11 anymore, so crossfirex11 (or any vartion of that)
> would be inaccurate, so what about xcrossfire or crossfirex? (kind of like
> xpilot.org)  Any other ideas or suggestions?

 crossfire no longer requires X (there is a java as well as window clients), so
implying x is not accurate.  In fact, there are patches out there for the server
to run under nt, so you don't even need unix anymore.

 Yahoo actually does link properly to the real-time crossfire site.

 I'm not really sure of the usefulness of a domain name unless it is really
obvious.  What I generally do when trying to a web site I believe is out there
is try an obvious name or two (crossfire.com or xfire.com or the like), and if I
don't get it in one or two tries, then go to yahoo or the search engines.  So
unless the name is very obvious, it doesn't make a big difference.

 Now I am not sure what the status of real-time is - if this is something that
may go out of the Tanner's control (or their ability to have the data there),
then perhaps registering a domain name just to have a more permanent home may be
useful.