Re: CF: Alternate proposal: MARK the power crystals

Hwei Sheng TEOH wrote:
[...]
> Suggestion: have spellcaster classes like mages/wizards/etc. have a built-in
> higher rate of SP regen. This would make it possible to balance out the
> difficulty of playing wizard vs. fighter classes without giving fighters too
> high an SP regen. After all, mages and wizards *should* have more advantage in
> using magic than a fighter of the same level! Otherwise, I might as well start
> by playing a "fighter" class since fighters survive better at low levels, then
> pick up a scroll of legerdemain and start using magic and become sort of a
> "fighter-wizard" at higher levels where I need more magic to kill nastier
> monsters... I'd much rather have the character classes actually make a
> difference in the way you play, no matter how high a level you are.

    I believe the direction we're going is away from pre-defined character
classes and more toward skills based on usage.  If you want to start out as
a fighter and learn magic later, go ahead.  Your initial choice will
determine your maximum natural stats though, so a fighter who later becomes
a wizard will need several more +Power artifacts to get the same number of
spell points.

    Basing regeneration on the player's class is a good idea, though.  Class
isn't exactly the right word for it, though, since it's becoming more of a
race or species than a chosen profession.  As such, starting with initial
bonuses and/or penalties to hp/sp/grace regeneration makes even more sense.

Suggestion:
Player race	HP regen	Grace regen	SP regen
-----------	--------	-----------	--------
barbarian	+2		 0		-1
cleric		 0		+1		+1
dwarf		+2		 0		 0
elf		-1		 0		+1
fireborn	+1		 0		+2
halfling	 0		 0		 0
human		 0		 0		 0
mage		-1		+1		+1
monk		+1		+1		+1
ninja		+1		 0		 0
half-orc	+1		-1		-1
priest		 0		+2		 0
quetzalcoatl	 0		+1		+2
swashbuckler	 0		 0		 0
thief		 0		 0		 0
viking		+1		+1		 0
warrior		+2		-1		-1
wizard		-2		 0		+2
wraith		-2		-1		+2

    Some changes to initial Power, Wisdom, and Constitution modifiers might
be necessary to balance some of these changes.

    While I'm on the topic of character races, how about Lycanthropes?
They'd need a special "shapeshifting" skill, to change from human form to
were-form, which would be a little tricky to code, but would probably be
interesting enough to be worth the effort.

werewolf
human form is barbarian, wolf form gets:
+5 ac, no armour
+5 wc, +5 dam, attacktype poison, no weapons
+1 speed, +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con

werepanther
human form is ninja, panther form gets:
+7 ac, no armour
+3 wc, +5 dam, attacktype poison, no weapons
+2 speed, +1 Str, +3 Dex, +1 Con

    They'd also need some vulnerability to offset their advantage over basic
barbarians and ninjas.  I'd like to say vulnerabilty to silver, but I can't
see adding an attacktype: silver for that.  An alternate would be to add
some more silver weapons, like the bolt of "silver head", and making them
"slaying: vampire, lycanthrope"

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer: Any similarities to the opinions of any real or fictional
persons, living, dead, or undead, are clearly the reader's own delusion.

Quote of the Day:
"There is no such thing as 'social gambling'.  Either you are there to cut
the other bloke's heart out and eat it, or you're a sucker.  If you don't
like this choice, don't gamble." - Lazarus Long