Classes and Races, was Re: CF: Alternate proposal: MARK the power crystals

David Andrew Michael Noelle wrote:

>     I believe the direction we're going is away from pre-defined character
> classes and more toward skills based on usage.  If you want to start out as
> a fighter and learn magic later, go ahead.  Your initial choice will
> determine your maximum natural stats though, so a fighter who later becomes
> a wizard will need several more +Power artifacts to get the same number of
> spell points.

 Are we really going in that direction?

 From past discussions, it seems that the idea to have the starting
races/classes be more distinct is desirable.  So that barbarian is a great
fighter, and you probably should play him as such.  If you want to try to make
him a spellcaster, sure, but he is going to be at a disadvantage.

>     Basing regeneration on the player's class is a good idea, though.  Class
> isn't exactly the right word for it, though, since it's becoming more of a
> race or species than a chosen profession.  As such, starting with initial
> bonuses and/or penalties to hp/sp/grace regeneration makes even more sense.

 The starting classes/races should probably be done.  Lets really make them the
races, and get rid of some of the classes (cleric, mage, monk, ninja, priest,
swashbuckler, thief, and perhaps viking).  I leave in barbarian as a type of
race - it could be argued the viking is also in that category.

 Ideal solution is to have both race and class.

 Race would determine stat adjustments (and various regen rates).  Class would
determine starting skills and equipment.

 It could be said that some classes should be limited - not all races.  On the
other hand, if that fireborn wants to become a fighter, good luck to him.

 This would add some more distinction, but also clean up some things (right now,
there are too many starting professions which seem to basically be the same).
With such a change, I would probably make skill scrolls very rare (or quest only
items), so to get new skills would be difficult.  In that way, what combination
you choose has at least some real relevance for a while.

>     While I'm on the topic of character races, how about Lycanthropes?
> They'd need a special "shapeshifting" skill, to change from human form to
> were-form, which would be a little tricky to code, but would probably be
> interesting enough to be worth the effort.

 I'd have to think about that.  Currently, there is no real shape change code in
place, and even if there is, the monsters don't care about it much.  So shape
changing to a wolf/panther/bear/whatever really won't have anything more than a
neat effect.

>     They'd also need some vulnerability to offset their advantage over basic
> barbarians and ninjas.  I'd like to say vulnerabilty to silver, but I can't
> see adding an attacktype: silver for that.  An alternate would be to add
> some more silver weapons, like the bolt of "silver head", and making them
> "slaying: vampire, lycanthrope"

 The problem is that such items tend to be fairly rare, so would really not be
much of a disadvantage (how often would that get fired on the creatures.)

 Addition of were creatures could be much more interesting if/when some internal
time scale gets added to crossfire.  So when in crossfire time it is the full
moon, the player becomes a were creature, with all the disadvantages there in
(can't use/carry much of anything).  Being a lycanthrope is supposed to be a
curse after all.

 The time system will also add much to the crossfire RPG experience.  Certain
gods may have certain holy days/times, and praying on those may get better
effects (or maybe the gods spells just work better on that day).