CF: New object: dice (was Re: oddity in the pup_land raffle #2)

Mark Wedel wrote:

> Hwei Sheng TEOH wrote:
> >

> > I think he's talking about a pit that drops items onto the middle of a 5*5 (or
> > 3*3) square area filled with buttons. Since (currently) items dropped through
> > pits may randomly "miss" the targeted coordinates by +2 or -2, this will
> > randomly push one of the buttons. I think this should still be working, unless
> > the pit code has changed??
>
>  I can't say for sure what will happen here.  My guess is that exits will put
> people exactly where the exit states, and if that has something on it (another
> player), will look for other nearby spaces to put the player on.
>
>  However, this (and many other things) are perhaps examples of stuff where maybe
> there really should be some special object that makes the random choice.
>
>  For example, have some contraption that has 5 objects, and drops one.  Or maybe
> some large pit idea.  I'd have to think about that.
>
>  I know gates are also used for random events (put boulders on top, and they
> will roll one of 2 ways, somewhat randomly).

    Might I suggest a new object type called DICE to replace the various
awkward contraptions different mapmakers have come up with the make random
events?  Give DICE objects a trigger code, a type of dice to "roll", a
number of those dice to add together, and a starting point.  That would give
a great variety of possible random effects from a single object

Example: to make something happen 50% of the time,
arch dice
connected 1   (this is triggered by code 1)
sp 2          (use 2-sided dice - a coin - which gives either a 1 or a 2)
hp 1          (use only one of them)
dam 42        (result is to trigger either 42 or 43)
end

Example: to trigger one of 16 possible effects, evenly distributed
arch dice
connected 42  (triggered by code 42, "heads" of the first example)
sp 16         (a 16-sided die, generates a result between 1 and 16)
hp 1          (roll only once)
dam 100       (results start at 100 instead of 1, triggers 100-115)
end

Example: to trigger one of 16 possibilities, *heavily* weighted in the
middle
arch dice
connected 43  (triggered by code 43, "tails" of the first example)
sp 4          (use 4-sided dice, each of which generates 1, 2, 3, or 4)
hp 5          (add five of them together for a result between 5 and 20)
dam 100       (start at 100 instead of 5, triggers 100-115, usually 107 or
108)
end

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer: Any similarities to the opinions of any real or fictional
persons, living, dead, or undead, are clearly the reader's own delusion.

Quote of the Day:
"There is no such thing as 'social gambling'.  Either you are there to cut
the other bloke's heart out and eat it, or you're a sucker.  If you don't
like this choice, don't gamble." - Lazarus Long