Re: CF: using skills (was: Usless Items)

On Jan 20,  7:47pm, Christian Stieber wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: using skills (was: Usless Items)
> Raphaël Quinet (Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se) wrote:

> I don't really see a difference, provided we can do something like
> "examine all". It's still one keypress. If there will be no "examine all"
> it's a major annoyance, much worse than the weight limit --- just imagine
> the fun clicking through a pile of 100 (non-merged) items. Time for a
> client with builtin macros :-)

 Note that examine all is likely to generate so much output that much will be
lost (scrolled by).   Also, good players want to check for cursed before
getting identifying stuff, since you still get some sale value for unidentified
but cursed items.

 In some sense, the current identification method (using skills) is nice
because it shows you what you identified (new stuff).  If an examine all is
added, you almost need an enhanced version which is 'examine all non
identified', so that you can more easily see what new stuff you picked up and
what it identified into.

> > There are some skills that would still have to be used explicitely:
> > "praying", "oratory", "singing".  Maybe we could also do something
> > about them and completely remove the need for "ready_skill" and
> > "use_skill"?
>
> Not much, probably. Praying could be replaced with a praying command
> since it doesn't need a direction anyway.

 One problem could be that the keybindings haven't kept up to date.  One of the
things I bind is 'use_skill praying' to control-p.  skills and statitics are
bound to shift and control s.  And so on with other skills.

 Some of the more popular/common skills should probably be added to the default
keybindings file.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com