Re: CF: using skills (was: Usless Items)

Mark Wedel (mark@icp.siemens.com) wrote:

> > I don't really see a difference, provided we can do something like
> > "examine all". It's still one keypress. If there will be no "examine all"
>
>  Note that examine all is likely to generate so much output that much will be
> lost (scrolled by).

Same with my i key --- I don't care about the output at all. I look through
the items after they have been identified to keep the interesting ones.

> Also, good players want to check for cursed before getting
> identifying stuff, since you still get some sale value for
> unidentified but cursed items.

Just at the beginning --- too much hassle. I just sell cursed items
before using the identification altar for the rest of the items. On
servers with a convenient bag or servers with the negative weight
feature I uncurse items later in the game (when I have the bag...).

> In some sense, the current identification method (using skills) is nice
> because it shows you what you identified (new stuff).  If an examine all is
> added, you almost need an enhanced version which is 'examine all non
> identified', so that you can more easily see what new stuff you picked up and
> what it identified into.

Personally I don't care about this at all.

> > Not much, probably. Praying could be replaced with a praying command
> > since it doesn't need a direction anyway.
>
>  One problem could be that the keybindings haven't kept up to date.  One of the
> things I bind is 'use_skill praying' to control-p.

It's better to use more prayers on the key (I alomost use the same key,
except that I use p instead of ctrl-p) --- it seems to pray faster if you
have more than one pray on the key.

> Some of the more popular/common skills should probably be added to
> the default keybindings file.

With the client that isn't a problem, since bindings are the same
across characters (and even across servers) --- causing the funny
situation that pressing "i" with a new character doesn't identify
much, but outputs a bunch of errors instead...

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber