Re: CF: Restoration Potions

Steve Fink wrote:

> Dunno about dying, but I'd be in favor of making something recover
> draining by undead. Let death go ahead and rip away the XP permanently,
> but count up otherwise drained XP and go somewhere to trade in your
> gravestone for that much XP. We don't absolutely need to count up the
> XP, but it seems like it'd be far too easy to duplicate gravestones
> somehow. Besides, it'd be fun if we didn't check whether the gravestones
> you're trading in are actually yours...

 Being able to get back exp from undead (and artifacts) makes some sense.
With this, the immunity to drain rings, which pretty much make monsters that do
drain completely harmless, could be removed.

 What I think the method should be is to keep track of the highest exp totals in
the different skills along with total exp.  Recovering drained exp via whatever
method restores you to that point.

 This means that if you get drained, go kill stuff and gain (regain) some exp,
and then get it recovered, you still lost some because you lose out on the exp
you gained before recovering.  This still at least makes draining something to
try and avoid.

> Could even make ectoplasm & related things exchangable for n points of
> drain restoration. Turn undead mansions into gambling halls -- you go
> in, lose 100k experience, then you're hooked. You have to keep going to
> regain what you've lost.

 One thing you have to be careful of, which can be tricky, is to make it
difficult/impossible for players to shuffle exp between experience categories.
This then requires tracking exp losses per skill.