CF: Suggestion: Talking (was Re: CF: Suggestion: Reg exps...)

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Daniel K. Schneider wrote:
> 1. I think that regexps would be a fine addition to the "magic ears".
> Simple word matching is really not powerful enough in certain situations.
> There are free regexp libraries, e.g. the one used in Python if I am
> not wrong.

As for talking in general, more than a regexp-library CF would need some
more advanced form of interactivity.  The plain keyword based
communication sucks...  (The 'modern' solution of using pre-written
choices isn't too great, either)

An extension, of some kind, would be sub-listing the keywords by 'mood' :
When you cite a certain keyword the mood of the listener changes, changing
the active list of keywords and perhaps other variables?  (You could
actually make some-CF-creature angry by talking...)

In addition it would seem proper to allow peoples to have 'connections',
so you wouldn't have to scatter weird magic-ears all over the places...

A little bug reports relating to talking:  Talking items, i.e. items with
@match in their msg-field, display the @match-part whenever they are
examined.  Actually this isn't a bug, it just would be nicer to hide the
@match-field...

Also, if you want to talk to an item you have to put the talking item on
the ground next to you.  Why not first check if anything is near you and
then proceed checking your inventory (at least readied items).  You could
have a dialog with the sword you're wielding...

	- Riba

Follow-Ups: References: