Re: CF: Re: CF client window setup & graphic design

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se wrote:
> Well, I've been considering porting the client to GTK
> (http://www.gimp.org/gtk/), which provides several easy ways to
> customize an application by adding fancy graphics here and there.
> Besides, it has several widgets that would be useful for the crossfire
> client, and even a way to dynamically reparent widgets (so that
> instead of using -split, you would simply drag a sub-window out of the
> main window).

Funny you should mention that, since I'm currently playing around with gtk
to learn it for porting crossfire... :). My impression this far is that
it's the sanest GUI API I've seen in a long time.

> I have been playing a bit with the latest client in order to see what
> has to be changed to port it to GTK, but I am not sure that I will
> ever have the time to work on it seriously.

I've looked at it too, and it looks like it wouldnt be too hard to do. Of
course, I'm also handicapped by the time aspect, and that it's been a
very long time since I did much C programming.

> I am currently busy
> working on the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/), which would be a good tool
> for making new graphics for crossfire, btw.

If a more graphics intensive crossfire is wanted, definitely. While
working on the graphics last year I found the old 'pixmap' program to be
the best for CF graphics editing at that time still, since GIMP isnt
really aimed at limited-colours pixel editing. But it would be easier to
make nicer graphics with a bit more lenience in the number of colours used
:).

> Sometimes I use -split, mainly to be able to enlarge the inventory
> window and/or message window.  But if the client had a way to resize
> the sub-windows individually, I probably wouldn't use -split.

Agreed.

/David