Re: CF: party system (servers)

Holger Noesekabel wrote:
> How about a metaserver in the next version/final release? Would that
> be possible/feasible?

Regarding metaservers ... in Netrek we recently reworked our metaserver
architecture to use UDP packets ... and have the servers send a small
packet to a metaserver each time a player joined or left.

http://surf.Germany.EU.net/toyland/netrek/metadev/ includes
documentation of the protocol and source code modules that would ease
the implementation of a Crossfire metaserver.

I could do it for you if you really want me to ... but someone needs to
have the job of actually running the metaserver.

For Netrek, we have allocated a domain name of netrek.org, so our
servers and metaservers can be easily found.  Unfortunately, the domain
names crossfire.org and crossfire.net are already taken.

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800