Re: CF: teleportation

Brian Thomas (thomas@astro.psu.edu) wrote:

> > We could even maintain a list of destination points "inside" the
> player, to let the player choose where to teleport to. This would,
> basically, turn "word of recall" into a more general "teleportation"
> spell. Anz thoughts on that?
>
> 	I think its worth implementing, but you have to be careful
> 	no to ruin playbalance. For example, if you allow players
> 	to teleport to maps then they could
> 	clear a map, set the 'home' to the middle of a treasure
> 	room, wait for the map to reset and then teleport in.

Apparently I didn't make myself clear enough -:) The idea was to
have "Destination points" in maps --- i.e. special places that the
map designer can put into the map. Word of recall ("teleportation")
could only teleport players to one of these points. Some means have to
established to let players choose which point they want to teleport
too -- either by "coding" this into items that players can pick up
and carry around, or by creating an invisible object in the player
inventory when the player applies such a destination point, or whatever.

I was just mentioning that this would turn "word of recall" into a
more general teleport spell, because it (IMHO) it doesn't make sense
to name a spell with an arbitrary number of possible destinations
"word of recall". I didn't mean to suggest to implement a new
nethack-like ("instant") teleport spell --- so we would have
"word of recall" (or whatever) for long distance, delayed teleports
with fixed destinations, and dimension door for short distance teleports
that don't really have fixed destinations.

I'm well aware that you shouldn't let players teleport anywhere they
want -:) While most players consider monsters to be a nuisance (or
even a major crossfire bug), I assume they won't be removed for quite
a while -:)

> 	IF word of recall is a separate spell (OR you allow menu
> 	selection) then the player can just teleport back out.

Not more than they can now. That's why the word of recall delay
was put in...

Christian