Re: CF: teleportation

On Jan 16,  4:47am, Brian Thomas wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: teleportation
>
> > We could even maintain a list of destination points "inside" the
> player, to let the player choose where to teleport to. This would,
> basically, turn "word of recall" into a more general "teleportation"
> spell. Anz thoughts on that?

 Some checking on those destination objects need to be done.  If a player
runs across one that is already in his inventory, you don't want to add
another.  And for balance reasons, the number of such objects/destinations
allowed per player should be limited.

> 	I think its worth implementing, but you have to be careful
> 	no to ruin playbalance. For example, if you allow players
> 	to teleport to maps then they could
> 	clear a map, set the 'home' to the middle of a treasure
> 	room, wait for the map to reset and then teleport in.
> 	IF word of recall is a separate spell (OR you allow menu
> 	selection) then the player can just teleport back out.

 To me, word of recall is a spell that should get you back to a safe
place.  So the number of places you can recall to should be very
limited (probably major towns/temples.)  However, room for a teleport
spell using a similar idea might be reasonable.

> 	Because of this kind of problem, I decided to make a gate
> 	spell (creates 2 exits, one at your present location, the
> 	other at the 'home'). But there are potential playbalance
> 	problems with this too. Id certainly expect any 'home' spell
> 	that changes the destination would be very high level, OR
> 	would be imperfect (w/ chance of death from misteleportion,
> 	etc).

 IF we limit word of recall to as I mention above, I don't see it a
major problem (it provides a convenient way to get from the present
dungeon back to 'home').  Probably only one destination should be
allowed, with teleport spell for hopping around maps.

 As for a teleport spell:  similar idea, but you can set the destination
fairly easy (maybe just via some rune would work nicely.)  When you cast
teleport, you then get a list of choices to go (player is free to
delete those choices, but they can not be re-added except by visiting
the map again).

 To extend teleport and control playbalance, I could see a few ideas:  Only
maps that have set_teleportable (new flag) can be teleported if the special
rune is no longer on the map.  Otherwise, if you try to teleport to the
map and the rune to set the destination is no longer there, the
teleportation fails.

 This would make teleport a useful spell as if you are working on a
dungeon in the middle of noplace, you can set a return destinatin on that
map, word of recall (or teleport) back home, then teleport back to the
map you are working on.  So it would provide a nice timesaving spell when
clearing out a dungeon.

 However, casting it in a treasure room doesn't help out, as once the
map resets (and treasures become reavailable) the rune is no longer in
so you can't teleport in.

 Maps that don't require runes would be all the cities and all outdoor
land.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com