Re: CF: patch: merging items

>  While I appreciate patches & improvements, they must be done the 'right way',
> and not the easiest way that happens to involve some hacks or breaks other
> stuff.

I agree with that.

>  Patches of the later case will not be added to the official distribution by
> me.

-:) Maybe I should explain some of the "background" of my patches, just to
clear things up a little.

I didn't make patches to add them to the official distribution,
although I'd like to see them (or, more appropiately, the same change
in functionality.  no matter whether it is my patch or somebody
else's). I changed some minor things in the server because people
around here appreciate the improvement in playability --- so _my_
goal is to implement things without breaking other things. Obviously
I had a problem with the 'alias command here...
Concerning my way of merging items: I didn't change the archetype because
this might or might not have caused the other problem I mentioned. Also,
it would make it more difficult _for_me_ to update the server or the
archetype since I would have to go through the (new) archetypes to
see if they need their nrof fixed. The way _I_ implemented it was
therefore choosen because
a) it did not cause any problems (except that reading "5 spellbooks"
   killed all 5 of them, which is fixed by my patch, and that people
   wearing two rings of the same kind would suddenly wear "2 rings",
   which is also taken care of. Both problems are not related to
   the nrof issue, though).
b) it saves me a lot of work, since items are merged based on type, not
   based on their nrof value.
c) I didn't have to figure out how the item creation works

Basically I sent the patch because I thought that, since players here
like it, other players might like it, too. And since my players don't
care how things are done, I decided to make things easy for me. -:)

Of course, if _you_ think the patch could go into the official distribution
if it were implemented in a different way, I actually _do_ appreciate
being told about this, so I can consider changing the way my patch works.
Currently, however, I only consider changing the 'alias command, since
that's the only case where _I_ can see problems. Again, this is my personal
view, not being very familiar with the cf code.

I guess this thread can be finished now, so I'll just build some earthwalls
around it.

Christian