Re: CF: maps/machine load/server<->server

Scott Wedel (swedel@Tymnet.COM) wrote:

> workable if a machine had all maps for a region such as a large
> town or continent where the boundary between maps is less frequently
> crossed and is an obvious change of region.

-:) This would probably go unnoticed anyway: right now, I'm astonished
at the lightning speed that ships and dragontransports have in cf -:)

> If the maps were grouped this way then much of the interaction
> such as partying and character communication between servers need
> not be supported

You still have to cummunicate the party data (who is in which party),
otherwise a party moving to another continent would suddenly stop being
a party (this is called user-friendly: if you are in a party, you expect
to remain in that party until you leave it).

However, considering that player data has to be sent to the new server,
I don't see a problem sending party information as well --- after all,
it would be very difficult to bring down the network via
'party join/leave/form' commands.

> since it could be argued that a party must be
> in the same town or continent in order to be part of the same
> party

This is almost the case --- after all, party members have to be in the
same map to get exp.

> or to hear shout messages (sound doesn't carry between
> servers).

Not sure whether I like this idea. First of all, making shout/tell work on
different servers is no problem, since there isn't much data to send around:
you can broadcast tell/shout messages to all servers without causing
noticeable network load. 'shout is used to tell something to all players
in the game, so I would like to see it continue working this way.
After all, 'say messages can be heard by everyone on the same map, even if
the the map is large. Compare this to reality: enter a large building,
say something, then go to the other end of the building and ask people what
you said -:)

Also, I would still like to see a distributed crossfire act as a
single "world". That is, I want to be able to 'tell something to players
that happen to be on another continent --- after all, my friends usually
are in different maps.

Btw: we need a 'party tell' command.

Christian

Follow-Ups: References: