CF: Re: "playtested" (was: Re: Java...)

> Sorry, to quote so much, but this is good summary of what I meant by
> "playtested".  We tend to add cool new features to crossfire because
> that's what's fun to program.  For the 1.0 release we should stop
> adding features at some point and just try to fix up play balance.

But you have to be careful (IMHO) to keep the "fun" in the game. After all,
crossfire is not nethack --- you play nethack on your own, trying to
ascend, and that's it. In crossfire, you build a character that lives
forever (there is no final goal to reach), to there has to be incentive
to keep playing even if you know all the maps. Therefore, "fun" is
important.

> We should try to test play balance with both experienced and inexperienced
> players. We don't want to turn new players off the game by making it
> too difficult.

Agreed. Personally, I tend to "introduce" new players to the game by
explaining some basic things (important commands, practicing running,
avoiding cursed items, identifying, getting money, how to join the
Jehova cult, some basic maps etc.), trying to find a balance between
introduction to the game and spoiling the game (after all, players
should still explore things).

Maybe things could be improved if there were a "newbie hints manual"
which not only explains various commands, but also gives advice for
newbies.

Concerning the experienced players: what are the criteria for a
"balanaced" game/map? Right now, all the crossfire maps are
probably unbalanced because the only way to die is to do something
really stupid (such as running into a room full of dragons without
being immune to fire, or standing in front of an electric dragon
watching your HP go down instead of killing the dragon).

Christian