Re: CF: maps/machine load/server<->server

Christian Stieber wrote:
> [...] I'm astonished at the lightning speed that ships and
> dragon transports have in cf -:)

When I met the game a few months ago, I noted that as an example of
unreality.  It is too easy to travel a long distance due to the scale
changes and the instant transports.

For the ships and dragon transports, I'd guess adding a terrain-style
delay to the square itself might be a good first try.  Then I think a
special in-transit map of a ship or a dragon ... with a door that opens
and stays open a certain time after the player moves into the map.

Slow movement across the deck of the ship would also simulate things
nicely.  Explain it as a rolling deck in heavy seas.  ;-)

Increasing the cost of long distance travel would have an effect on
death.  It would make it less bearable.  Then again, it would be "nice"
if on death you are moved back to your latest sleeping place ... it was
all a bad dream.

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800