CF: Re: Java server, HP/UX

    Kristofer Bosland (krisb@ring.org) wrote:

    > 	Well, my understanding of the java vs X/Unix argument is: There
    > are java Virtual Machines for many platforms, and many web browsers make
    > it easy to run java code for Joe Random Browsing User.  Thus, at least in
    > part, java is meant to bring CrossFire (and crossedit, for more maps) to
    > a broader audience

    provided they have sufficient CPU power. crossfire runs fine on our
    HP apollo systems --- but all Java programs I have seen were crawling.
    The idea of having a virtual machine is old (in fact, UCSD-p became
    even somewhat popular), but it has always been slow. Compiling Java
    into real machine code would be a lot better than compiling Java into
    Bytecode and compiling/interpreting this.

right. But it's really more an issue of whether there is a JIT compiler for
your platform.
If you don'thave one, then you need a speed demon to run java fast.