Re: CF: Re:Banning players

On Dec 11,  1:43pm, Klaus Elsbernd wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Re:Banning players

> >  I have seen lots of discussion about what could be done, and a bunch
> > saying iit could be nice if, but I don't think I have seen any server
> > admins which actually say 'As a server admin, I need this
> > functionality'
> That's true. And with this argument, I suggest to code only a minimal
> number of lines. And therefore use the library. If one sysadmin will be
> very strikt, he already has installed tcp_wrapper, and there is no
> need to include those sources. Only one option would be needed to
> include/exclude the calls. I think, that's no much work. If no
> other one would like to implement it, I'll try it.

 Using the library then requires another requirement - if you want security,
need the tcp wrappers library (the library may be standard on some systems, but
is hardly standard on all systems.)

 And as said, the library itself may not do what we want since it uses blocking
calls.

 I am sure the code can be extracted from the library to do what we want to do
and included directly in crossfire.  But it then becomes a matter of the amount
of work to extract and change the code vs write anew.  if all we are checking
is ip addresses (which is all we really can check against), writing code to do
so is quite easy.

 In fact, I've probably spent more time discussing this issue than it would
take to write it.  A simple ip match and allow/disallow system is really quite
easy to write - and open, and while fgets, and a couple strcmp's and thats
about it.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com