CF: Irix 5.3 Compile

To whom it may concern....

I am trying to compile the X11 Client on a silicon graphics Indy with
Irix 5.3

THis is what I tried:

setenv CC cc
./configure --disable-gtk

This is what I got:

checking for a BSD compatible install... utils//install-sh -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for mkdir... /bin/mkdir
checking for tar... /bin/tar
checking for makedepend... /usr/bin/X11/makedepend
checking for cp... /bin/cp
checking for rm... /bin/rm
checking for gcc... cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... no
checking for a BSD compatible install... utils//install-sh -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
GTK not found - building xlib client
checking for X... libraries , headers
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
Xlibs: -lX11
Extras:
Xpre: -lSM -lICE
checking for main in -lnsl... yes
checking for main in -lsocket... yes
checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... no
configure: error: XPM library not found

I have the XPM library (I don't know what version) in /usr/lib
However I am not superuser for this machine.
I have also tried it with:

./configure --disable-gtk --disable-xpm
./configure --disable-gtk --without-xpm

with the same result