Merged Merged proposal?

Peter writes:
> if you want to add your Experience Point Economy after skills
> are installed you can.
> [...]
> In order to control level of skill in this way, all you have to do
> is have the guild do this, too, and remove the level-advancement
> code from wherever b.t. et. all put it and put it under control of your
> guilds.
>
> But for chrissake, if you do this, please #ifdef it.

Perhaps it's possible to support both play styles in a single server?
How about this:

-  A player, when they begin the game, may choose a profession, but they
   don't have to.

-  Players who choose a profession have access to the "Experience Point
   Economy" as previously described by me, et.al.

-  Players who do not choose a profession are considered "you are what you
   do"  (generalists?) and their skills are refined not by spending EP in a
   guild but by the "successful use increases proficiency" model described by
   Peter, et.al.

Ultimately a system for acquiring and abdicating membership in the various
guilds could be devised to allow players to try both styles of play with a
single character.

--Ken

| Ken Woodruff           | Most Latin words in -us have plural in -i,  |
| woodruff@cadence.com   | but not all, & so zeal not according to     |
+------------------------+ knowledge issues in such oddities as hiati, |
| Disclaimer: What tote  | octopi, omnibi, & ignorami; ...             |
| bag full of $20 bills? |     Fowler, "Modern English Usage"          |